What fruit is more deserving of July’s Colorado Proud spotlight than apricots? Soft orange delights that are loaded with Vitamin A and carotenes, they are particularly beneficial for keeping your eyes strong and preventing heart disease and cancer.
Learn more about the nutrition and healing benefits of apricots at the World’s Healthiest Foods.
Looking for some delicious ways to enjoy apricots this month?
- Try them whole or in fruit salads
- Add sliced apricots to hot or cold cereal
- Add them to baked goods such as muffins and quick breads
- Chop some up and add them to whole grain pancake batter
- Skewer whole or halved fresh apricots, brush with honey, and barbecue on the grill or broil in the oven til brown
- Add dried, diced apricots to chicken or vegetable stews
One of my favorite ways to preserve apricots though, is to cook up a simple jam. I’ve seen jam recipes that include just as much sugar as they do fruit. While this one from the Alsace region of France still has a healthy dose, I love that it adds other flavors like citrus, zest and vanilla.